Tuesday, June 21, 2011

significant influences

I was living in Cleveland Ohio the last time the Cuyahoga River burned. We watched it on television even though a short drive could have brought us to the scene. Like many others, the event had a significant influence on the development of my character. Thanks to the new power of television, this story spread across the nation and prompted public outrage as the effects of Silent Spring and the near extinction of our national symbol lingered in the American psyche. As a result, The Clean Water Act and the EPA were instituted. Like the Bald Eagle and clean water, the EPA may become extinct if the frackin Republicans have their way.

I've been environmentally conscious ever since, but growing into adulthood was a great distraction. I concentrated on science in school yet never finished that degree in Geology. I'm still an avid science buff.

I got caught up in the new age spiritual movement with determination to find the truth about religion and spirituality. I am now satisfied that I've learned more than most. I was deeply affected by the works of Ken Wilber. I now consider myself to post-integral and I am saddened that the big bald guy seems to have lost his way. I now describe myself as spiritual, but not religious and consider the distinction to be profoundly important which you can read about here.

I still find the AQAL model to be a useful tool and attempted to build Integral Activism with it. A personal koan was, "what would an enlightened being do today?" Integral Activism is about the best answer I can come up with...help those laboring to make the world a better place.

I was deeply affected by The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight and I remain a huge fan of Thom Hartmann who I consider to be a fine example of an enlightened thinker. He helped to teach me that politics affect everything...

An Inconvenient Truth appears to be all too true and I wonder what happened to Al Gore. I often reflect upon The End of Work and I fear The End of Oil. I am still learning about Key Leverage Points as I attempt to intervene in our corrupt system.

No comments:

Post a Comment